Thursday, January 8, 2009

7 Things You Probably Didn't Know About Me

 

I was tagged by DMantz7 to submit my 7 things.  Since I've been toying around with getting a blog started, this is a great kick off.

  1. I worked for the Disney Company for five years.  1 year down at Walt Disney World working outdoor foods in the Magic Kingdom and just over 4 years at the Disney Store.  I loved being a part of making dreams come true and telling folks my job is to make others happy.  The best part of working for Disney was being able to interact with cultures from all over the world.  In a matter of 30 minutes, I might visit with folks from five different countries.  The parks still hold a very dear spot in my heart and would go every year, but DH isn't as gung-ho about the parks as I am.
  2. I was almost in  the movie Hoosiers when I was in middle school.  The film was made just 30 minutes away from our school district in Indiana and they invited neighboring district students to be in the crowd scenes.  Since the bus would only hold so many kids to travel to the set, they were selective on who could go. Unfortunately, I missed the cut, but many of my friends did make it.  Hoosiers still one of the greatest sports movies ever made.  Go Hickory!
    1. I am full of useless movie trivia.  My brothers and sisters have always been movie buffs, but I think I took it a little on the extreme.  I would read Premiere magazine from cover to cover, worked at a video store for 6 years to support this habit, and even made the challenge to watch every movie released in the summer of 1992.  (I actually made that goal minus 4 films because they were horror flicks and I don't do those).  So to this day, if you watch a movie with me, I can fill you in all kinds of Jeopardy winning trivia about the film, the actors, and the director.  I'm not "up-to-speed" as I once was because I've become more choosy in what a watch, but I can still hang with the best (esp on Disney Trivia). Pathetic, I know.  
    2. When I was 18 I went to Australia and New Zealand for a student tour.  It was fabulous, and I learned how to zip-line in the Blue Mountains, discovered much of the Maori culture, and fell in love with Pavlova.  I was really surprised how similar Australia looked to the Midwest, but then again these are both prairie ecosystems.  New Zealand's biome, on the other hand, was stunning.  I even went to the glowworm cave.  Yes, they do exist!
    3. I am a total freak for desserts.  It doesn't matter where I travel, I sniff them out.  Though many make fun of me for this, I can tell you where to find the sweetest treats anywhere.  Some of my favorites are flan, creme brule, bread pudding, peach cobbler, and lemon cake.  Dog gone it, now I'm hungry. Where are my keys?
    4. I've always been a computer nerdy chick.  My mom actually taught the four of us about computers from way back, as she instantly saw the potential in them.  She was an office manager for my dad (he sold fire trucks and ambulances for a living - yeah - whole different story) and bought her first computer in 1981 with Microsoft Word 1.0.  She had the two inch manual, read the entire thing in one night, and submitted her first bid proposal the next day typed in Word.  She was the person who taught us about tables, margins, etc. and we took it from there.  Now my sister works in hospital admissions, one brother works in post production at NBC in Kansas City, and another brother works in tech support.  You should see our family nerd gatherings!
    5. I get epiphanies for HUGE student projects between 3-5 am often - in the dead of sleep.  It usually happens when I'm formulating a global project and working out the kinks.  It's frustrating to have sleep deficiency for the night, but I get so wrapped up in the details of these projects I can't stop thinking about them, and they turn out to be really exciting opportunities.  I love global learning and opening new doors to friendships in other countries.
  3.  

     

    Well, there you have it.  Pass the spoon, we're going to share some dessert.

2 comments:

  1. I find the information about your family very interesting along with your time working for the Disney Company. That explains it all! As for your late night/early morning epiphanies, all great minds never stop thinking.
    In all, thanks for sharing and joining the "7 Things" fun.

    Dean Mantz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wasn't this "7 Things" meme fun. I enjoyed learning more about you, and I can see that we have some common interests, especially desserts. I too wake up in the night with ideas that must be developed. Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete